Introverts, SPD and Rain

Being an introvert can be tough, but there are things I rely on to keep me happy. I enjoy solitude, having time to myself, and being on my own. While my personal thoughts keep me company, I also enjoy watching old episodes of my favorite TV shows and cozying up with a good book and a cup of coffee or tea.

But there's one thing I hold dearest, keep closest to my heart, and love the most - rain. Dark, rainy, stormy days that turn into night without us even noticing. I love them. It feels amazing to read and relax during a rainstorm, and I even like walking around outside when it rains, with a good cup of tea or coffee, a good book, a quality blanket, and nothing to do. It's bliss.

Rain is Mother Nature's blessing to us introverts. It's white noise that we all love and appreciate. In a world that is normally chaotic and loud, rainy days give us a very peaceful feeling. We feel invigorated, whether there's a storm or a light shower.

It might seem like a mystery as to why we introverts love rain, but it may not be that complicated to explain. We introverts live in a loud world, constantly seeking out quiet nooks and corners to recharge and gain our bearings.

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

It can be especially hard to cope with a loud world if you have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). SPD is a neurological disorder that causes difficulties processing information from our five senses, as well as engaging with our sense of movement. This twisted perception can lead to pain, confusion, and discomfort.

Both children and adults can be diagnosed with SPD, but it's usually adults who have a harder time coping with it. New social situations are hard for people with SPD, and new stimuli from sound to smell can be overwhelming.

People with SPD tend to become emotional in the presence of too much sensory input and have a behavioral response, such as yelling, crying, or fleeing the situation. Rainy days and rain, in general, give both introverts and those with SPD a reprieve from the world and let us have some peace and quiet.

Rainy days allow us to recharge and be ready to deal with the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Heart Syndrome: How Emotional Trauma Can Cause a Heart Problem

The Health Benefits of Thai Cuisine: How Fish Sauce and Chili Can Boost Your Metabolism

7 Surprising Health Benefits of Eating Seaweed